It is fashionable, nowadays, to have a succulent as your room or garden plant. The beautiful leaves and flowers of succulents made them very popular. But all that glitters is not gold. Some of these beautiful plants are poisonous.
As a rule of thumb, succulents with thorns are usually poisonous too. They can be harmful to both humans and pets. Some of the common toxic succulents are Euphorbia, Aloes, Agaves, Jade Plant, Alligator Plant, Elephant Ear, Panda Plant, Christmas Cacti, and Snake Plant
Poisonous succulents can harm humans as well as animals. In general, animals are more at risk from them. So, it is vital to know beforehand which succulents are poisonous. Otherwise, you can risk harming your kids and pets.
Did you Know?
Poison is a defense mechanism for plants. It protects them from animals and other pests.
Too often, you will find thorny succulents. Thorns are also a way of nature to protect succulents as they keep trouble away. Succulents are often secured by double protection of thorns and poison.
Not every succulent is poisonous. Some are completely benign. If you want to identify poisonous succulents, spot thorns on their leaves or stem. 80% of the time, thorny succulents are toxic.
Thorny succulents are likely to be poisonous.
I will present you a visual guide of the most common poisonous succulents. You can use it to take all the necessary precautions. Following are the nine most common toxic succulent species or types.
Euphorbia is a succulent family. There are around 2,008 succulents that belong to this family. Succulents belonging to this family are very toxic. This succulent family is also very common. However, not everyone knows these plants are poisonous.
2,008 different succulents belong to Euphorbia genus.
Euphorbia has white sap of poison in their leaves and stems. Due to this white sap, the succulents of this family are also known as Milk Plant. This liquid is poisonous for humans as well as animals.
The poisonous fluid can burn skin. Also, the poison can cause diarrhea, stomach pain, and intense vomiting in both humans and pets upon consumption.
While Aloes have proven health benefits for humans, some succulents of this group are toxic for dogs, cats, and other pets.
Aloe is a common family of succulents. There are over 550 succulents that belong to this family. Many succulents of this group are believed to have healing properties for humans. For example, Aloe Vera has proven benefits for skin and hair. Check these out:
Aloe Vera juice works wonders on a number of issues like: help irritated skin, to soothe and provide moisture, and so much more topical and internal benefits!
Are you suffering from dry dull hair? Maybe dandruff and an itchy scalp? Maybe grow your hair longer or fight hair loss? Aloe Vera is here to help!
But some succulents belonging to this family are poisonous for pets. They have toxic sap of liquid stored in their leaves and stems. Once pets come in contact with this sap, they can face severe diarrhea that can prove fatal.
Aloes also have saponin. Saponin is a naturally occurring soap that is highly toxic for pets. So, if you have any Aloe plants in your house, make sure they are out of reach of your pets.
Agaves are trendy houseplants. This is because they have beautiful leaves and flowers. However, not many people know that these plants can be toxic for pets.
270 different succulents belong to Agave genus.
Two hundred and seventy different succulents belong to the agave family. Upon digesting the leaves of succulents belonging to this genus, pets can face indigestion, listlessness, and diarrhea.
Jade Plant is a very famous indoor succulent. Many cultures associate this plant with good luck. But few people know that this plant is highly toxic for dogs.
Did you Know?
Jade Plant is also called Money Plant. In some cultures, planting Jade can bring wealth and prosperity.
There is an unknown substance in the stem and leaves of the Jade Plant that is toxic. Upon consumption, dogs feel drained and lethargic. The toxic material can also upset the stomach of dogs.
Jade Plant has an unknown toxic material. It causes lethargy and lack of coordination in pets.
The Alligator plant is also known by its scientific name Chrysanthemum. This is a very common houseplant due to its unique and beautiful shape. However, the leaves of this plant have a toxic steroid. This harmful material can be bad both humans and animals.
Alligator plant has a steroid in its leaves that is toxic for both humans and animals.
The toxic steroid can cause weakness, vomiting, and seizures in both humans and pets upon consumption.
The Elephant Ear Plant is sometimes called Dumb Cane. It is a very popular household succulent. It is often grown in pots and placed both in rooms and in the garden.
The leaves and stems of this plant have a toxic material. Upon digestion, the airways of animals can swell, causing breathing issues. On the other hand, even upon touching, humans can have itching.
Panda Plant also goes by its scientific name Kalanchoe. The rugged beauty and low maintenance make this plant a very favorite houseplant. This succulent, however, is not animal-friendly. It contains poisonous sap that can affect animals.
While Panda Plant is benign for humans, consuming its leaves can cause problems for animals. They include drooling, indigestion, and vomiting. However, Panda Plant is not lethal. And animals can recover even if they consume the leaves of the plant.
Christmas Cacti are popular houseplants. They have beautiful flowers, but they are also poisonous to dogs. While these plants do not harm cats, they can affect dogs badly upon consumption.
Keep your dog away from Christmas Cacti
When dogs eat the leaves of this plant, they face digestion issues. On top of that, they also have strong vomit. So, if you have this plant in your home, keep your dog away!
The Snake Plant goes by its scientific name Sansevieria. This plant is also a very common houseplant. However, little is known about the toxicity of this succulent.
Keep Pets Away!
Snake Plant has poisonous fluid-filled sap that can kill your pet.
The big leaves of this plant have sap filled with toxic material. This compound can cause problems for your pet upon consumption. The compound is so toxic that it can fail the kidney of your pet upon consumption. So, it is advised that you keep this plant out of the reach of your pets and children.
There are many succulents out there. Not all of them are poisonous. Only a handful of them prove to be toxic for humans. However, there are a few more that are toxic for pets, including cats and dogs. So, if you have any of the toxic plants, make sure they are out of reach of your pets and children. You can read more about poisonous succulents.here:
Most succulents are not poisonous to cats and dogs. However, some of them are. Read ahead to learn which ones are poisonous and which ones aren't.
My name is Kelly and I'm the the founder of Easy Succulents! I'm fascinated by this wonderful plants and I want to share with the world everything I know about them!
You may also like:
Our Best Tutorials (for beginners), the Best Inspiration and Our Latest Projects Straight to Your Inbox! You can unsubscribe at any time, but almost everybody stays. We must be doing something right!